Author Topic: 317: "The Monster and the Monster's Child"  (Read 568 times)

Offline carnialee

• Edo Resident
    • View Profile
317: "The Monster and the Monster's Child"
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:55:35 pm »
http://www.crunchyroll.com/gintama/episode-317-the-monster-and-the-monsters-child-728627

So like, can we please talk about this?
I'm not ready for these fights about to go down.
And Sakamoto gonna join the fray? Bruh.

Offline Nevermore2790

• Samurai
  • AAAAAAAAA Yourself!
    • View Profile
Re: 317: "The Monster and the Monster's Child"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »
We get to hear 2 new OSTs near the end (the last one is in the preview of the next episode).

Damn, Utsuro standing up in the fire is so goddamn epic and creepy!!
Every Wednesday and Thursday are the Gintama day to me.

Offline carnialee

• Edo Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:05 pm »
Word, he looking like Sephiroth.
I'm honestly just really anxious to hear Kagura and her family's story, and also Oboro's story.
I'm not caught up with the comics (and I spoiled a little/a lot for myself) but I'm really looking forward to this arc.

Offline Genesis7478

• Samurai
  • #JUSTICE4TAE #GINTAE4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:47:43 pm »
Oh So hype  :3 Can't wait for Kagura's Family Arc  :) :enthusiastic:
Tell us about your pet peeves in animes/mangas! http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=3273.0

I'm your friendly neighbourhood OkiKagu fan. Be warned. Be very warned.

Offline 3DSCube

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:25 am »
Gilgamesh! (I still don't understand that reference lol)

New OP has great animation and the song is okay. Not a huge fan of the ED. First episode is now done, getting all the exposition out of the way early on.

Offline Dark Zero

• Samurai
  • Deciding the path of the Light or Darkness....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:49 am »
The chapter had the same ammount of crazyness and comedy as always.

That part when Gintoki makes fun of Matako's name XD

Offline Genesis7478

• Samurai
  • #JUSTICE4TAE #GINTAE4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:41 am »
I'm happy I understood the Saiki reference  :3
Tell us about your pet peeves in animes/mangas! http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=3273.0

I'm your friendly neighbourhood OkiKagu fan. Be warned. Be very warned.

Offline DarlingClementine

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:19:17 am »
After having some trouble with Crunchyroll earlier, I finally watched the episode.

Nothing too, too exciting going on this week, some exposition to set up the arc.  Lots of cool stuff will be happening later on; can't wait to see that.  There were some good laughs in the first bit of the episode.  I liked that it started with a good ol' fourth wall breaking as they get used to a different time slot.  It wouldn't be the Gintama anime without something like that.

The OP was pretty good.  It's probably not going to be a favorite of mine but seeing all the characters and everything had me flashing back to reading the manga and feeling that "Oh my God, I remember that stuff.  That was so long ago" feeling.  The ED however, is not really my cup of tea.

Offline [Kihetai]Takasugi

• Samurai
  • a___a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:10:50 am »
Very good episode, I really like the opening.
.-.
._.

Offline Ryaou

• Samurai
  • Also known as Einsdrei in some places
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
Still love that ****ko interaction

edit:forgot to mention

I'm happy I understood the Saiki reference  :3

Yeah that was hilarious, Gintama moving into (replacing) Saiki's weekend spot, I hope season 2 comes soon
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:27:17 pm by Ryaou »
『♪オ~レ~さ~ま~み~て~いる~♪』

Ψ Fan of Saiki Kusuo? Ψ

Offline Anpanman

• Samurai
  • PUNCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:34:03 pm »
OOOOH, just got back from work, managed to watch the first episode of the new season in all its glory, collected my thoughts and now Anpanman is back to getting overly excited and commenting too much on even the most insignificant of details in the anime discussion threads once again :3 :3 WOOT its great to be back doing this again :D :D -inhaling deep breath-

To get this straighten out first, it is of no spoiler that the beautiful older Kagura looking lady in the Opening and Ending is obviously Kagura's mother as anime-only viewers have correctly guessed (Who else could it have been? XD). I will not however, be saying the mother's name and any more background about her until later in the arc :doctor:

The Opening song's animation is a fun delight to see, having all that explosive energy and emotion I expect for a new explosive season. However, I find myself not liking the singer's style of singing so bummer :-\

The Ending song's animation brings back good old memories of Gintama's 19th Ending "Anagura" and the Historical Chinese outfits for our beloved cast was awesome to see. The singing was good for me :happy: I also ADORE the image of Kagura's mom in the Ending. Such a classy lady O0 Additional observation, I like that tiny detail of Umibozu:
(click to show/hide)

Little Gin and Shouyo's funny conversation was adorable :happy:

Cutting to the Opening after Gin-san wakes up to a pair of balls on his head and then only after the Opening do we see his angry reaction wasn't to my liking as I feel that it made the funny scene lose its impact. I believe many like me were too focused on the new Opening and ended up forgetting that Gintoki woke up to a pair of hairy balls on his head :sweatdrop: Katsura and Gintoki being evil jerks was hilarious to see and was a nice first laughs for the episode (Ah, Gintama making me laugh will never get old :happy:)

Clever move by the anime to have Katsura recap the important Bakufu/Kihetai related arcs that lead up to current events for this episode.

The classic Sugita Engrish was great to hear again and I'm glad I'm a but more familiar with Violence Jack to get the reference.

Kagura throwing jabs at Love Live and its fandom was gratifying :D

Nobume looking damn fine in her new outfit and prettier eyes :enthusiastic: Matako being the butt of genital jokes (even Nobume gets in on the insults! XD) and her uncute funny voice was great too ;D

The exposition/flashback scenes were done well, never boring me and getting me well invested into the events. Gintama having excellent scene direction for heavy dialogue scenes like this still keep me satisfied and engrossed. Double points for Gintoki being (rightfully) an asshole to the Kihetai after listening to it all 8)

Love that the Kihetai flashbacks depict Kamui's "genius" tactics and leaderships skills as he single-handedly gets almost half of the group and most of his men killed, effectively contributing immensely to the Kihetai and 7th Division's desperate situation. Such brilliant decision making skills by such a brilliant character :D

Umibozu's return was epic :3

I love Utsuro's voice and eloquent speech. Having a dark sense of humor works too. Regardless of seemingly divided opinion over his role as a villain, I sure as hell am loving the display of physical and intellectual badassery he displays. Good guy or bad guy? Their all fair game to him and I love that about him as a villain :)

I cannot wait for next episode :3 This episode provides the necessary context to understand what's going on with this arc's plot but next week will deliver the far more important emotional investment (and of course, Gintama humor) that acts as the driving force of this arc. I'll say it right now that this arc is ALL about family and this theme is the heart of this arc O0

-exhaling deep breath- Ah, its great to be back 8)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:38:24 pm by Anpanman »
Got an origin story of discovering Gintama? Then come on here:
http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=340.0

Offline Khorale

• Samurai
  • The day the Fandom cried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:05 am »
The opening is awesome! I like the song and the visuals are really great!

I waited three hours for the raws  :sweatdrop: but in the end it's worth it. I rewatched it a few times, and wow... Shouyo's voice actor is really amazing. During Gintoki's dream I could hear the shift in tone when they went from Shouyo to Utsuro! I also saw Bansai's eye color for the first time. It's brown/amber, which is cool and it suits him.

The ending though, the music is not a genre I generally listen to so I don't have too much of an impression of it. The art's nice - we get to see some cool outfits. Also the Yato family picture :'( :'( :'(

GINTAMA IS BAAAAAACK!!!!!!!

Offline Anpanman

• Samurai
  • PUNCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:54 am »
My favourite line in the entire episode was Nobume describing what relation Shoyou has with Utsuro:

"A smile that slipped from Utsuro"

So beautifully put :drama: Sorachi could have written it in a longer yet duller way like "Shouyou is another personality of Utsuro that managed to slip out at some point" but no. Sorachi chose a far better wording for it that gets the point across and staying consistent with Shouyou's most iconic feature; his happy smile :happy:

Shouyo's voice actor is really amazing. During Gintoki's dream I could hear the shift in tone when they went from Shouyo to Utsuro! I also saw Bansai's eye color for the first time. It's brown/amber, which is cool and it suits him.
Agreed! O0 I've always loved Shouyou's voice ever since I heard it in the Jiraia arc. I remember how so many of us were shocked that such a deep, manly voice came from a man with a rather youthful and effeminate face XD Then we see Utsuro whose eyes are much less wider and kept thinner which makes said deep and manly voice fit really well, almost as if Shouyo's voice was chosen with full knowledge from Sorachi of the eventual Utsuro reveal :o

I also liked how Utsuro temporarily dropped the eloquent speech tone for a more disrespectful and condescending tone as he insulted the Elders in their last moments ;D
Got an origin story of discovering Gintama? Then come on here:
http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=340.0

Offline Sadomaru28

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 04:14:14 am »
Gilgamesh! (I still don't understand that reference lol)

Me too ::) still funny though ;D

Now i wait for them to talk about the LA.. XD
"That messed up head of yours might not remember. But I remember. And I won't forget." - Hijikata Toshiro

Offline [Kihetai]Takasugi

• Samurai
  • a___a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:42:05 am »
I liked how Utsuro killed the elders, it reminds us who the real villain is. Just like that scene in the Shogun Assasination where Kamui punches Nobunobu leaving him out of commission for the rest of the arc and showing us who the real villains were.
.-.
._.