Author Topic: Sentai Filmworks Gintama DVD Discussion  (Read 49645 times)

Offline aritzen

• Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Sentai Filmworks Gintama DVD Discussion
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2013, 01:33:57 am »
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Send it to their email address above the contact form. Their contact form is broken...

I almost feel like starting a Boycott (Terrible) Fansub Movement, not that it'll do any good because it'll just be me. I really, really hate saying this because this is about Sentai, but if all else fails, there is the Singapore official release. I know I'm definitely buying the Singapore DVD to watch it subbed, because I'm not watching fansubs and the probability of Sentai releasing it before Singapore does is about as likely as Madao succeeding for once.

Offline Sparticus

• Samurai
  • this space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Mah DeviantArt
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:31 am »
Sparty tell me your secrets ;_;

Actually it'd make a good group project. I just moved, and have ALL of my manga again, and Imma set up my bookshelf THE WAY NATURE INTENDED, except leave a big gap at the end of my Gintama collection, and make a sign for my Elizabeth plush to hold that says "this space reserved for moar Gintama" and Tweet it at Sentai and Viz (and maybe Sunrise too?). And maybe give Elizabeth different hats for different days or something.

Which reminds me, I need to find hats and things that Elizabeth can wear. I already know she looks good in sunglasses and oversized headphones. >.>

It'd be pretty sweet if we could get the whole US fandom to do something similar.

Offline Sakata-San

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2013, 02:15:38 am »
Most people like me don't have too much money to do things like that. But that would be awsome though.

Offline Phantomtroupe

• Kabukicho Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2013, 03:38:01 am »

well if they do the same as they did with the first movie, you get a eng dub version AND an eng sub version (with japanese voices)
so theres nothing to lose.

oh is that true, they give an english subbed version? wow, then that is actually awesome

Offline Sparticus

• Samurai
  • this space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Mah DeviantArt
« Reply #259 on: October 15, 2013, 11:21:54 am »
oh is that true, they give an english subbed version? wow, then that is actually awesome

Yes. We have had these things called DVD's for a while now. They're capable of supporting multiple language tracks. About 99% of all DVD's of imported material have the option to watch them in it's original language with English subtitles. Welcome to 2013, you're actually very late to the party.

*grumbles about how that argument is somehow still around even though anime companies haven't had a dub only release in years*

Offline Blackflash

• Samurai
  • It's not what you think it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »
Yes. We have had these things called DVD's for a while now. They're capable of supporting multiple language tracks. About 99% of all DVD's of imported material have the option to watch them in it's original language with English subtitles. Welcome to 2013, you're actually very late to the party.

*grumbles about how that argument is somehow still around even though anime companies haven't had a dub only release in years*

sparty you are still living in the past, we now have things called "blueray". It looks , works the same as dvds, but the difference is... magic!

as for people with money problems, you cant be blamed. Me too ive been in a phase where i couldnt buy anything from the internet and so on (either because no money or no possibility to buy stuff online) but right now we are only asking to make sentai and co. notice that people want an official gintama release. we are not asking people to buy it, i mean its not even out yet. We only need everyone to sacrifice 5 minutes and make sentai and co. considering to release the new gintama movie.

if i have to, i will make, i dunno 10 templates? hand it to 10 people and all they need to do is copy paste it and send it per mail to sentai.

furthermore, if it gets released at the end, i will donate to ys to make a contest or giveaway to get the dvd/blueray

Offline nao

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »
Send it to their email address above the contact form. Their contact form is broken...
ohoho!! yes!! I will!! thanks!!

if i have to, i will make, i dunno 10 templates? hand it to 10 people and all they need to do is copy paste it and send it per mail to sentai.
Blacky-san, please make it to me. onegaishimasu (o・ω・o)mペコリ

Offline Blackflash

• Samurai
  • It's not what you think it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »
ohoho!! yes!! I will!! thanks!!
Blacky-san, please make it to me. onegaishimasu (o・ω・o)mペコリ

well... i cant say no now can I?
as soon as i have time i will work on it. i will send it to you per pm afterwards

Offline Sparticus

• Samurai
  • this space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Mah DeviantArt
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2013, 12:08:15 am »
sparty you are still living in the past, we now have things called "blueray". It looks , works the same as dvds, but the difference is... magic!

What if I told you not everyone is willing to upgrade their entire entertainment center for the sake of a relatively small upgrade in image and sound quality*.

*When compared to the jump from VHS to DVD. That was HUGE. DVD to Blu-Ray though? Not so much.

Offline aritzen

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:21 am »
as for people with money problems, you cant be blamed. Me too ive been in a phase where i couldnt buy anything from the internet and so on (either because no money or no possibility to buy stuff online) but right now we are only asking to make sentai and co. notice that people want an official gintama release. we are not asking people to buy it, i mean its not even out yet. We only need everyone to sacrifice 5 minutes and make sentai and co. considering to release the new gintama movie.

To be fair, Sentai needs to make a profit otherwise they have no reason to release a show. We can make a lot of noise, but my guess, based on Sentai's lack of announcement and action, is that Gintama isn't as profitable as Sentai would've liked. I wish I had numbers to convince others and myself as to whether we should keep pushing or give up, but unfortunately those numbers aren't public.

There'll always be people who can't afford DVD/BD, and there's nothing we can do about it. If most of the fandom can't afford it (in the sense that they want to but are truly poorer than Madao, not that they have the money but don't want to spend it for whatever obscure reason), then we just have to accept the unfortunate outcome that we'll get no official release.

To every single person reading this: If you live in DVD region 1 or BD region A/1 and you haven't bought any of Sentai's Gintama release and you want to watch the 2nd movie and you need English translation and you're not Madao, you need to buy at least the Sentai Benizakura release. (If one or more of the conditions don't apply to you, well, move along, nothing to see here.) After you have Sentai's release in your hand, tell Sentai your interest in the 2nd movie.

More importantly, tell your friends, family, random strangers on the street and at a con, SPREAD THE WORD. Where are the retweets and more retweets? Where are the reblogs? Where are the con reports? More about Gintama panels or meet-ups and less about Sentai. Share it on Facebook, Google+, ANN, MAL, CR, wherever else you go. There are at least 300 people in this fandom and almost 1000 on this forum. C'mon people. Increase this number by a factor of 10, 100, more. This is something YOU CAN DO.

And thank you for those of you who have helped. Every little bit counts.

If you want to find out more about Sentai's perspective, here's a brief exchange I had with them back in September:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:58:25 am by aritzen, Reason: added email »

Offline MercyMeLucretia

• Samurai
  • アッハッハッ、ぶっ飛ばすぞクソ女
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:31 am »
I reblogged this one tumblr post you linked, aritzen. I live in DVD region 2 but at least I can help spreading the word. Maybe I could make another post on tumblr for it?

Offline San2007x1

• Samurai
  • Gin-Santa
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2013, 06:48:25 pm »
Well it's not big news, but at least it's a reply. Here's the email I got sent back to me:

Mike Bailiff (mike@section23films.com)
"Hi Kaza,

Nothing has been announced but I’ll keep you posted.

Best,

Mike"

and here's my original message:

"Hey, I was just wondering if you guys were going to do an official dub (or sub) Gintama Movie 2?
I noticed it was getting released in theaters with english subs, so maybe it'd be possible to do that in the west as well?

Best regards,
Kaza"
I like how he said "announced" instead of "talked about" or "said."
" The" member with the changing avatars and the animation skills to boot. Speaking of which, might as well pitch my animation idea hear Sanny. The protagonist is ..." ~Faris-Santa

Offline aritzen

• Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55:56 am »
I reblogged this one tumblr post you linked, aritzen. I live in DVD region 2 but at least I can help spreading the word. Maybe I could make another post on tumblr for it?

Thank you Mercy and everyone else who's been helping! You can certainly make another post if you think it'll add something new, reach a different crowd, or attract more attention. O0

Offline Yoroyuza 43

• Edo Resident
  • flip the coin of destruction-hire Yoroyuza
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2013, 02:13:43 am »
Honestly, when it comes to anime, I barely notice any difference between the bluray and the regular DVD . . . still, at least we got a response! I've been pestering their Facebook every time they claim to have an announcement (Viz, I've tried and have basically given up, but Spartacus, you're right; we should spam BOTH!

As for Sentai not having a profit with the series, I admit that I didn't buy it originally because it was sub only (frankly, I originally figured I could just watch those on crunchy roll), but after getting the movie (both the DVD and bluray, not counting the ones I gave as gifts to friends), I did pick those up. The problem I'm having is that in the year or so they've been counting the sales, they haven't given a comment one way or the other--it's just in limbo; therefore, I like to think that they're either preparing something or still have faith in the series--frankly though, I wish that if they wanted more people to support it, they would be much more public about it. I like to think that if enough people bother them on Facebook,  they see that there is an audience who wants a physical release (one with both language tracks, ideally, since I love both casts from the previous movie) which is better than fansubs or online only.

Also, is anyone else having trouble with emailing them? it just keeps saying that I'm not allowed/registered to do so . . .

Still, let's embody the spirit of the series and keep trying!
Become the wind-join a biker gang and kindly leave Gin-san out of it.

Offline Yoroyuza 43

• Edo Resident
  • flip the coin of destruction-hire Yoroyuza
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2013, 02:15:13 am »
I like how he said "announced" instead of "talked about" or "said."

Agreed--that seems like a much better sign than I thought we'd get. It's awesome that he got a response! Way to go, dude!
Become the wind-join a biker gang and kindly leave Gin-san out of it.